Give your name, the location and type of incident, your phone number and if an evacuation is underway. Answer any questions and do not hang up the phone until the dispatcher is finished.
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT Phone Numbers:
- University Security & Police: 426-6911
- Environmental Health & Safety: 426-3999 (24 hour line: 863-8024)
- Facilities Operations & Maintenance: 426-1409 (after 4 PM and weekends, dial 426-6911)
- University Health Center: 426-1459
- Counseling Services: 426-1459
What to Do in an Emergency?
- Remain calm, use common sense and provide aid. Take time to think before acting.
- Always evacuate the building immediately when you hear an audible alarm, see a visible alarm, when directed by authorities or when the environment in the building becomes life threatening. (e.g., smelling natural gas). Proceed to the designated assembly area for further instructions.
- Do not use the telephone for reasons other than emergency purposes.
- Do not enter elevators during an emergency. If stuck in an elevator, do not attempt to force open stalled elevator doors. Use the emergency phone to contact University Security.
- Keep a flashlight handy if you are in an area that does not have emergency lighting or natural lighting.
- Know the location of all marked exits from your work/living area.
Reporting an Emergency
- Dial 911 to reach an emergency dispatcher who can summon medical, fire or police response. These individuals can also contact emergency personnel who are not “first responders” but will oftentimes be needed to assist the first responders with incident resolution.
- You can also reach the emergency dispatcher by picking up one of the blue light emergency phones found along campus, in parking garages and in the stairwells of some residence halls.
- If phone lines are dead, take the message to the Boise State Security & Police Services Department in Capital Village at 2245 University Drive in person or use a cell phone, if available, and dial 426-6911.